Welcome to our class page!
Harris County-Carver Middle School
8th Grade Physical Science Syllabus
Teacher: Mrs. Angela Hightower
Textbook: Issues & Physical Science (SEPUP) and Georgia Physical Science (Glencoe).
Infinite Campus: All parents and students with internet access are encouraged to become registered users of Infinite Campus so that you may keep up with your child’s progress in all classes. Go to our school’s website and click the quick link for Parent Portal. You can also download the app on your smartphone for more convenience.
Conference Period: Mondays and Fridays 1:30 to 2:00 by appointment through the counselor’s office (706) 628 - 4951.
- All students are expected to arrive on time with all needed materials and bring agenda book every day.
- All students are expected to participate in class in an orderly fashion.
- All students are expected to follow the guidelines set by HCCMS-refer to Parent/Student Handbook.
- All students are expected to stay current on any missed work-refer to Parent/Student Handbook.
- All students are expected to follow the Electronic Devices policy-refer to Parent/Student Handbook.
· Binder with 4 dividers and PLENTY of loose leaf notebook paper.
· Colored pencils or markers.
· Pencils with erasers and hand held pencil sharpener OR mechanical pencils with replacement lead.
· Cap erasers or large individual eraser.
· Metric ruler.
· 1 composition notebook OR single subject spiral bound notebook.
· Highlighter (any color) for notes
v Classwork and Labs 45 %
v Tests/Quizzes/Projects 25 %
v 9 weeks exams/Finals 15 %
v Homework 15 %
UNITS OF INSTRUCTION
Potential & Kinetic Energy
Forms of Energy
Physical & Chemical Properties
Physical and Chemical Changes
States of Matter
Force & Motion
Newton’s Laws of Motion
Electric & Magnetic Fields & Forces
Wave Parts & Types
Light & Sound Waves
Curriculum meets all National Science Standards and correlates to the Georgia Standards of Excellence. For your reference, all science standards may be found at this link: https://www.georgiastandards.org/Georgia-Standards/Documents/Science-Eighth-Grade-Georgia-Standards.pdf
2022-23 Supply List
- Binder (can also be sectioned with another class if needed) with dividers and PLENTY of loose leaf notebook paper
- Colored pencils
- Pencils with erasers and hand held pencil sharpener OR mechanical pencils with replacement lea
- Metric ruler
- 1 composition notebook OR single subject spiral bound notebooks TO BE LEFT IN SCIENCE CLASSROOM FOR LABS (these cannot be shared with another subject)
- Highlighter (any color) for notes
- Team Wish List (Items may be given to any team teacher)
- Paper Towels
- Clorox Wipes
- Dry Erase Markers
Welcome to Team 8-2.
We are so glad you are on our team and we are going to have an exciting year.